Yogurt has 2 starter cultures, which have symbiotic effects.
Generally inoculated milk is incubated for around 6 hours to produce yogurt.
This bit of the paper I am working on is comparing the effect that adding various probiotics has on the survival of the starter cultures (which is back-to-front on what is usually investigated, so is actually quite interesting). It is showing major interference in different ways depending on the probiotic.
If I could compare it to a yogurt with no probiotic that would be good, but that doesn't seem to have been done (sigh).
So in essence I am looking for a simple 24 hour timeline graph of bacterial counts of a product that has been around for people to do experiments on for, like, 6000 years.
"Regard," he said again, "this simple silver salt cellar. Regard this simple woolly hat. I put the salt cellar in the hat, thus, and I pass the hat to you. ...Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency; Douglas Adams
And while I realise the dark ages weren't a good time for scientific research, and bacteria were only discovered in 1683, that was quite a while ago. You would think that one of the scientists in any of 200 odd countries would have done this experiment at some point, but no.
Or if they have I can't get into the relevant paper (Darn you to heck#, Journal of Food Science! *shakes fist*).
Or they only tested for 6 hours.
Or they tested S. thermophilus OR L. bulgaricus subsp. delbrueckii but not a combination of the two.
Or they tested it on day one and day 15.
Or they tested its survival in the gut.
Or with listeria added.
Or they freeze dried the yogurt.
Or tested the plasmid DNA of the ST (that's just showing off if you ask me).
Or tested the changes in sugars / pH / exopolysaccharides / flavor / syneresis / texture ...
Or grew them in soymilk / oatmilk / almondmilk / camelsmilk / dandelion milk / milk of magnesia.**
Or attempted to see what happens when you add green and black tea to the yogurt (?)
Or (which finally caused total exasperation) they tested it every 24 hours for 30 days at 10, 20 and 30 0C. Who stores yogurt at 10 0C? I mean seriously!
And nobody-but-nobody has done a comparable control in all these published papers!
And yes I get that the obvious answer is to do the experimental work myself (at this stage it seems to be the only original research left in the world if the scientific paper results are anything to go by - should be worth a Nobel prize at the very least).
I'm giving up for the evening.
# or similar swearwords.
**guess at what point I started making these up - take note that people in this bizarre state are currently manufacturing human milk cheese.


No comments:
Post a Comment