Do I have your attention?
They have discovered a new breed of 7 inch long spiders in caves in California. 7inch! That is, like, too many centimeters!
And they have claws on the end of their legs. Claws!! (!)
And what do the scientists (who aren't afraid of these things at ALL, clearly) call them? Trogloraptor (cave-dwelling grabby thing) ...sheesh
I bet Shelob is a Trogloraptor.
Those things are on the same continent as me...
What's the job situation in Ireland like at the moment? Anyone got a spare bed?

13 comments:
It don't say nowhere that its 7 inches?
Nope, they definitely said on NPR yesterday afternoon that they were 7 inches wide with their legs spread out and they aren't at all! How could NPR upset me like this!
I can deal with 1.5 inch across spiders (which is what it says somewhere else) if they agree to stay where they are.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath_birdeater
OK, they are in South America, but with a foot long leg span they could walk to Vermont in a year or so.
They live in caves and don't like daylight... GO IN TO THE LIGHT!!!!
http://www.camelspiders.net/
Camel spiders on the other hand are a long way from you.
A smallish (like an inch) fat black spider ran across the living room floor and under my computer desk the other evening, so I picked up Snowball (who was asleep) and held her looking under the table till she spotted the spider. Carnage! Took her about two or three minutes to catch it, but she was DETERMINED.
So what you are saying is I should get a cat?
And you can stop sending me links to pictures of giant spiders too! Are you trying to give me a heart attack?
Mairt called around once to our place wearing sandals. So we are doing the guided tour and are standing outside on the gravel, and I started to tell him about the fairly unusual breed of spider that lives around the veg bed. They have a particularly painful bite on them, and I still have a patch on my leg that is brown and sore looking from a bite a couple of years back.
Mairt is an arachnophobe. In sandals. In a field of biting spiders. There was a bit of a gap until his next visit.
In my defense, I wasn't aware of this beforehand.
If Mairt hadn't been genuinely hyperventilating, it would have been very funny.
Oh, you know I have been trying to remember all day who 'Mairt' is, I just did. Well, despite my initial comment, spiders that I can't see don't necessarily worry me (though they might)and the fact of them being biting spiders...nope.
It's the hairy legs I tells ya!
'So what you are saying is I should get a cat?'
Well no, because cats are very variable about spiders, a lot of them will sit there staring anywhere but at the bug and say 'spider, what spider?'
"Those things are on the same continent as me..."
Umm, I hate to break it to you, but
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_recluse_spider
AAAAaaaand, now I want my mommy!
Post a Comment